Tweet “Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life…” – Jack Kerouac In a wild outpost town of eastern Baltistan, two days’ journey by road into the ja...
Adventures in Backpackistan!
Tweet This week, I have the pleasure of sharing with you a special guest blogger, a fantastically talented writer and good friend of mine, Ms. Brittanie Sterner. In 2010, I traveled with Brittanie in India for a while, before s...
Tweet I like to pretend that I’m inhumanly self-assured and independent. But the truth is, I’ve never really been either of those things. If you know me personally, you know I’m not the solitary, pensive type. I’m a loud and ab...
Tweet Late one night several years ago, while drunkenly sprawled out on my couch, flicking through a slog of 2AM infomercials and overly-lit diabetes PSAs, I caught a documentary about holy men in southern India, men who would ...
Tweet There were a dozen sagging rear-ends in my face as I plodded up the long, narrow staircase of Shwezendaw Pagoda, trapped behind a Swiss tour group who were ascending at glacial speed. I turned around to a sweeping panoram...
Tweet “It’s not a question of money, it’s a question of desire,” said Collette, in her lyrical French accent. “It’s a question of time,” I corrected, and waved to the grill master for another round of spicy pork. We were seated...
Tweet In the darkness, I could feel my heart pounding. I had been lying in bed for over an hour, staring up at the ceiling of my hotel room, fighting to breathe against the stifling heat of the Burmese monsoon, which hung over ...
Tweet If you know who I am, or the adventure I’m about to embark on for the next two years, you might call me overly cavalier, which is fair. Cavalier is a great synonym for stupid. My name is Steve—Steve McDonald—and at this f...
- The Long Road To Nowhere: A Hitchhiker’s Tale from Outer Mongolia
- Walnuts & Machine Guns: A Taliban Tale
- Garden of the Corpse Flower: A Sumatran Jungle Quest for the Rarest Flower on Earth
- Bungle in the Jungle, Five Days in the Hide: An Ill-Fated Search for the Rare and Elusive Nasalis Larvatus
- Photo Travelogue: The Biggest Darkness (An Expedition to the Largest Cave Chamber on Earth)
- Slumber Party with Headhunters
- Getting a Deadly Illness & Other Buttfuckery
- Photo Series: “Asia in Color”