Posts Tagged ‘Backpacking’
Tweet “I’m just glad to be off that fookin’ island!” shouted Jon in his Irish brogue, slamming down his beer. “But you were only there for a day,” I smirked. “I don’t get it. Everyone else loves Cat Ba.” “That’s because they’re...
Tweet “That’s too touristy,” shouted Jon, stabbing a spring roll with his chopstick and dunking it in fish sauce. “It can’t be that bad,” I shrugged. The Sapa Valley I’d seen in brochures was a bucolic paradise. It promised ver...
Tweet It was July, 2008. I had barely choked down my seventh shot of Israeli arak—or perhaps eighth, or ninth, I’m not sure—when I heard Joe’s inebriated screams from across the bar. “STEEEVVEEE,” he was slurring, “ OH NOOOO!” ...
Fringe Chronicles: Tried to Order Dinner in Tokyo. Got Assaulted By a Man in a Frog Costume Wielding a Puppet Instead.
Tweet Twilight had fallen over Tokyo, but the streets of Shinbashi district glowed as bright as day, pulsing in a rainbow symphony of lights. Amidst the heaving crowds of salarymen, neon-coiffed teenagers, and Kimono-clad mamas...
Tweet GET READY, because in this week’s thrilling revelation of Backpackology 101, I’m taking a break from the usual topics of dangerous countries, hitchhiking, and things that are interesting, to instead talk a lot about buyin...
Tweet It was in my Kyoto hostel’s kitchen, whilst I finished my breakfast, innocently leafing through my guidebook, that the instigator first addressed me. “So you’re one of those, huh?” I glanced up to find a befreckeled, pear...
Tweet When I finally penned my response to Men’s Journal (at three in the morning) (over one week late), I was sitting amongst cockroaches on my hotel room floor, stripped down to my underwear, high as a rocket ship on mysterio...
- The Long Road To Nowhere: A Hitchhiker’s Tale from Outer Mongolia
- Walnuts & Machine Guns: A Taliban Tale
- Garden of the Corpse Flower: A Sumatran Jungle Quest for the Rarest Flower on Earth
- Bungle in the Jungle, Five Days in the Hide: An Ill-Fated Search for the Rare and Elusive Nasalis Larvatus
- Photo Travelogue: The Biggest Darkness (An Expedition to the Largest Cave Chamber on Earth)
- Slumber Party with Headhunters
- Getting a Deadly Illness & Other Buttfuckery
- Photo Series: “Asia in Color”