Posts Tagged ‘Festivals’
Tweet A man with a machine gun has been following me for the last five days. His name is Zia, and he is very, very shy, especially for a man with a machine gun. He first started shadowing me in the town of Chitral, near the end...
Tweet “That’s too touristy,” shouted Jon, stabbing a spring roll with his chopstick and dunking it in fish sauce. “It can’t be that bad,” I shrugged. The Sapa Valley I’d seen in brochures was a bucolic paradise. It promised ver...
Tweet At 4:27PM, on the afternoon of October 29th, I received an e-mail from an acquaintance in Almaty, informing me that Backpackology has been banned in Kazakhstan. When my initial laughter subsided, my amusement faded into c...
Tweet I find it ironic, and embarrassingly hypocritical, that not even a week after I ranted about how you should never get into cars with strangers, I turned around and did exactly that. It was noon, and the heat of June shimm...
Tweet Laughing in the face of Travel Warnings and a threat from the Taliban, I head north into Pakistan’s Northwest Frontier Province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, to visit the indigenous Black Kalash Tribe and to see their annu...
Tweet Late one night several years ago, while drunkenly sprawled out on my couch, flicking through a slog of 2AM infomercials and overly-lit diabetes PSAs, I caught a documentary about holy men in southern India, men who would ...
Adventures in Backpackistan!
Tweet Suresh Mehta screamed as his tiny feet pounded over hot sand, sprinting across the beach to the protection of his older sister. I thundered after him with my fist raised, eyes twinkling with vengeance, my entire body spla...
- The Long Road To Nowhere: A Hitchhiker’s Tale from Outer Mongolia
- Walnuts & Machine Guns: A Taliban Tale
- Garden of the Corpse Flower: A Sumatran Jungle Quest for the Rarest Flower on Earth
- Bungle in the Jungle, Five Days in the Hide: An Ill-Fated Search for the Rare and Elusive Nasalis Larvatus
- Photo Travelogue: The Biggest Darkness (An Expedition to the Largest Cave Chamber on Earth)
- Slumber Party with Headhunters
- Getting a Deadly Illness & Other Buttfuckery
- Photo Series: “Asia in Color”